Continue reading "Spicy Thai Soup with Shrimp" »
Continue reading "What’s for Dinner? 5 Dinner Ideas that Make Great Leftovers" »
Detox Water is a naturally flavored water mixed with sliced oranges, citrus filled lemons and limes, fresh strawberries and garnished with mint making this an irresistible water. Only 5 Minutes to make!
Clean eating can be made simple! Try this Vegetable Detox Soup, Skin Glowing Raspberry Mango Smoothie or The Best Acai Bowls (Three Ways!) for healthy recipes that are full of flavor.
This irresistible detox water is just what you need to stay healthy and hydrated. With its sweet and refreshing taste it is hard to stop sipping on all day long. There are several health benefits to this detox water and the main one is cleansing the body. This will help eliminate the bad and help boost the good in our bodies. This tasty fruit filled detox water is just what is needed to get on the right track and stay healthy.
Water is the number one resource a body needs. With the help of this detox water, watch and see how the body can change for the better. Water helps with boosting metabolism, aids in digestions and will also fill and fuel the body to help you feel full. All these benefits are a plus and great for the inner body. Watch how skin glows and how it looks the best with this detox water.
Tasty fruit mixed with chilled water is the perfect combination to enjoy and quench your thirst all day long. Soon you will be craving this delicious fresh and fruit detox water combination. I must say, this detox water is not a magic weight loss pill or a diet to only be on. Working hard physically, mentally and even socially is the best benefit to a happy, healthy balanced life. Water is to help aid in drinking more water that in turn can help reduce weight gradually and slowly the healthy way.
With the help of this flavorful detox water, results will be shown through a healthy gut as well as beautiful glowing skin and hair. This detox water has so many great benefits to it plus the flavor taste great while staying healthy and getting into shape.
What is Detox Water?
Detox water is known to help remove toxins, aid in weight loss and boost the immune system. Natural vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are found in fruit that create this perfect combination. All these things are huge health benefits that will slowly increase the bodies way of life. Water is the best source of nutrition for the body. Drinking more water is only benefiting and rewarding. Skin, hair and internal organs crave water and need it to survive. This detox water only compliments those benefits as well as taste amazing while doing it!
Detox Water Ingredients:
Most all of the ingredients in this detox water contain vitamin C and other health benefits that make these detox so strong and powerful. Seeing results that you want are key and using this detox water can help clean your system on the inside and out.
Each of these ingredients are a benefit to the body and digestive track. Combined there are so many health benefits that all work together creating a flavorful and healthy water for your body.
- Oranges: Contain Vitamin C that aid in growth, development and repair of all body tissues.
- Limes: These limes contain a citrus juice that helps with digestion and relives bloating on the belly.
- Lemons: Aid in weight loss and reduce anemia and other digestive enzymes.
- Strawberries: Helps with heart health and blood sugar control in the body.
- Mint for Garnish: Mint is known to help with digestion and is a belly enhancing garnish that improves the metabolism.
- Cold Water: This is the most important part of the detox water. It is healthy and the best thing for our bodies.
How to make Detox Water:
It is a simple combination that works together so well. Slice and cut up all the fruits leaving the skin or peeling on. Place all the ingredients into a pitcher or large container. Fill the pitcher with filtered, cold water. It is best to enjoy this water at least an hour later from making it. This will allow the fruit and mint garnish to absorb the water and fill the cold water with more flavoring.
- Add all ingredients together: In a large pitcher add the oranges, limes, lemons, strawberries, and mint. Fill the pitcher with the water.
- Steep the water: Let sit in the refrigerator 1 hour or overnight to let it steep and flavors blend.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
Once the fresh fruit ingredients are in the pitcher filled with water, take a fork or long tool to poke at the fruit helping the fruit to release the juices in the water.
Variations of Detox Water:
Berries are full of vitamins, dietary fibers and healthy benefits. These benefits help maintain a healthy weight, reduce the risk of diabetes, decreases the chances of heart disease and can lower the chances of getting certain types of cancers. All in all, drinking water is a lifestyle choice that benefits in several different ways. Creating a water to help aid in all these benefits is simple with minimum amount of ingredients. Try substituting or adding in more fruits and/or herbs to the water for even more flavorful ways of drinking water.
FAQ’s on Detox Water:
Frequently asked question about detox water is important to know the benefits as well as more information regarding detox water. Detox water is not a diet or a quick fix to solving and eliminating any disease or health issue someone may have. Detox water in general is a flavorful water that is healthy to drink and will help the human body from the inside, out. Enjoy this flavorful water each day, one glass at a time!
- Does detox water work? Yes! This water is healthy and will aid in eliminating any bad toxins in the body. In general, water is healthy for you and known to have several benefits by itself. This water is only a drink and added exercise will be required if looking to lose weight with it.
- How long does it take to infuse water? For a stronger, more flavorful water, it is best to refrigerate the detox water at least an hour to overnight. This will help bring out fresh flavors in the water and taste amazing!
- How long does detox water last? Water in general lasts forever, however, with the fruit infused I recommend storing the detox water in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. Once the fruit and herbs lose their flavoring the water is no longer fresh and delicious.
- Can you eat the fruit in detox water? Absolutely! As the fruit is soaking in the water, it slowly is losing its flavor but it will still have a fruit filled texture and flavor when eating it.
- What do you make detox water in? A pitcher is best or something that is large enough to hold the amount of water you desire. This detox water recipe is perfect for doubling or even tripling for a large party. If this water is for home, even cutting it in half will work as well.
- How much water should you drink based on weight? It is best to drink an ounce of water per pound you weigh for each day or in general it is best to drink eight, eight ounce glasses of water each day.
More Healthy Recipes:
- Insanely Good Homemade Granola
- Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Easy 5 Minute Avocado Toast
- Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados
- Skinny Chicken Enchiladas
Five Minute Detox Water
- 2 oranges sliced
- 2 limes sliced
- 2 lemons sliced
- 1/2 pound strawberries sliced
- mint for garnish
- 1 gallon cold water
- In a large pitcher add the oranges, limes, lemons, strawberries, and mint. Fill the pitcher with the water.
- Let sit in the refrigerator 1 hour or overnight to let it steep and flavors blend.
Welcome to The Friday Buzz, our roundup of all good things, good advice, good feelings. It’s the happy hour of blog posts! Up this week I dish about BUTTER.
For the longest time, I thought margarine was butter. I grew up as a child in the 90s, which meant I was raised on margarine. It came in the little plastic tub, and I thought it was great! Fast-forward to my adult years: I was hanging out with some girlfriends who were all talking about the price of butter and how expensive it had become. I didn’t understand what they were talking about, because the butter I was buying was so cheap.
It turns out I was still buying margarine… in stick form. That’s right, because it was in stick form, I assumed I had made the switch! Nope. But you butter believe (haha) that from that day forward, I started buying real butter and haven’t looked back.
So I thought it’d be fun to focus on some butter-related products I’ve enjoyed lately, because my life motto now is butter is better!
- Dish It: I love storing my butter in this dish. I’ve tried many others, but I really like this one.
- Water It: But I’m also super curious about this dish and how you use the water in it. Anyone ever try it?
- Savor It: Flavored butters are intriguing, don’t you think?
- Wheel It: This little contraption would make it so easy to butter your grilled cheese sandwiches!
- Churn It: We mentioned this in our holiday gift guide for kids, but I’m thinking I need one too!
MEANWHILE ON INSTAGRAM
Y’all know how to cook your rice! We asked for your preferred technique and so many of you chimed in. Here’s what some of you said about cooking rice:
“In the oven. 2 cups of rice 3 cups of water. Cover with foil. Cook 25 minutes.”
“We use the microwave! Add butter, salt, and lemon. My son (13) makes it all the time. He takes it to school for lunch.”
“An electric rice cooker…have had the same one for 30+ years.”
“1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water… Boil water add salt, put in rice, let it come to boil and lower to simmer. I double fold some paper towels and put between pot & cover. Let simmer 20 minutes then take off flame and put on side. Fluff before eating.”
“I actually prefer to make my white rice with chicken broth. Comes out amazing with that an onion. Best part? I make it in the microwave!! Super easy!”
READER COMMENT OF THE WEEK
The memories that come with food are so strong and tender. Rob left this sweet comment on our Texas Sheet Cake. We’re so glad he has the recipe again!
My Mama made this for years and I loved it. When my mama died someone took her cookbook where she had this written in the back cover. Now I have it again. It’s one of the best cakes and so easy to make. Thank you!
Cheers to the weekend, Simply Friends!
Continue reading "The Friday Buzz: The Better Butter Edition" »
Continue reading "Hurricane Cocktail" »
The delicious Easy Cuban Sandwich is layered with two kinds of pork, loads of melted swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard. Toasted in butter and pressed to perfection, this is one ultimate sandwich for pork lovers.
If you love pork then be sure to try this Skillet Pork Cacciatore or this Slow Cooker Mississippi Pork Roast next.
Easy Cuban Sandwich
This hearty sandwich is all about the layers and each one plays a significant flavor roll in taste. The main ingredient, however, is the two kinds of pork. Layers and layers of smoked ham are paired with thinly sliced pork tenderloin. The Cubano is the ultimate sandwich with the tangy and tart taste of the pickles and mustard paired with the melted swiss cheese and pork.
This delicious sandwich has a handful of main ingredients and depending on whether you’re from Miami or Tampa you might disagree on the correct variation.
- Cuban Bread: if you can’t find Cuban bread you could make it or you could use another soft loaf variation.
- Swiss Cheese: make sure to get plenty of swiss cheese because you want it to melt everywhere.
- Smoked Ham: layering the ham is just as important as the cheese so also make sure to get enough.
- Sliced Pork: use either pork tenderloin or pork shoulder.
- Dill Pickles: dill pickles are absolutely necessary for that tangy flavor.
- Mustard: plain mustard is the standard, but if you have a type you prefer such as grainy or dijon those can also be used.
How to Make a Cuban Sandwich
This sandwich is all about the layers and the most cumbersome part of the prep is cooking the pork tenderloin (only because of the time it takes to cook).
- Cook the Pork: Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Place the pork tenderloin on a foil-lined baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic cloves, oregano, and cumin together and pour over the pork. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 154ºF. Let cool for a few minutes before thinly slicing.
- Assemble: Slice the loaf of bread in half and then cut into 4 equal parts. Begin the layering by placing half the swiss cheese on the bottom halves of the sandwich. Top with the smoked ham, sliced pork, and pickles. Add the remaining swiss cheese on the very top, and spread the mustard on the top half.
- Toast: Melt butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the pan and put a heavy skillet on top to press them down. Flip and repeat. Slice the sandwiches in half before serving.
Do You Have to Use Cuban Bread?
This depends on who you ask, but truthfully you can use any soft loaf bread to prepare this sandwich. If the bread is too hard it won’t press easily when cooking it at the end.
Which Pork is Best?
This particular recipe calls for pork tenderloin because it’s easier and quicker to prepare than pork shoulder. Either type of pork cut will work and the shoulder can be flavored slightly more than the tenderloin. The choice is yours.
More Sandwiches to Try
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Monte Cristo Croissant Sandwich
- Basil Pesto Chicken Sandwich
Easy Cuban Sandwich
- 1 lb Pork Tenderloin
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Cuban Bread Loaf Italian bread will also work
- 1 lb Swiss Cheese sliced
- 1 lb Smoked Ham sliced
- 1 cup Dill Pickles sliced
- 1/4 cup Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place the pork tenderloin on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic cloves, oregano, and cumin together and pour over the pork.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145ºF. Thinly slice the meat and set aside.
- Slice the loaf of bread in half lengthwise and then cut into 4 equal parts.
- Begin layering the ingredients by adding half of the cheese to the bottom layer of the sandwich bread. Top with the smoked ham, sliced pork, and pickles. Place the remaining cheese on top. Spread mustard on the top piece of bread and place on the sandwich.
- Melt the butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and set a heavy skillet, such as an iron skillet, on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Once toasted flip the sandwich and repeat.
- Slice the sandwiches in half before servings.
Continue reading "Do I Need to Soak My Beans?" »
Continue reading "3 High-Protein Gluten-Free Pastas You Should Try!" »
Falafel is a round bite sized patty mixture of garbanzo beans, seasonings and a hint of spice from a jalapeño all cooked and ready to add to any wrap or salad. A healthy little bite!
Best Authentic Falafel Recipe and Ingredients
Falafel are almost too cute to eat! These are bite sized, small round patty shaped mixtures of pure joy and goodness. Each falafel is mixed with garbanzo beans, a variety of seasonings and a hint of spice. Mix it all together in a food processor or blender then cook on a skillet. It is that simple and so tasty! Falafel is delicious on its own or added to any sandwich, wrap or salad. There are several ways to enjoy falafel. Not only is it delicious, it is low in calorie and a great way snack to have in the kitchen we you start to feel hungry.
I love the flavor and texture in a falafel. The outside is a nice crispy outer layer with a tender, soft mixture on the inside. Together it makes these falafel irresistible! Falafel recipe is so simple to make and cooks perfectly every time. There are small patties but feel free to make them bigger if you would like for different ways of serving them. Falafel is one of kind and one recipe that you won’t stop making. It is that good!
What is Falafel?
Falafel is well known in the Middle East. It most likely originated in Egypt but has become the world’s most popular street foods that you can find most anywhere around the world. It can be served plain, in wraps, on sandwiches or salads for complete meals. Falafel is known as a deep-fried ball or flattened to shape like a doughnut patty. It is usually made from ground chickpeas, fava beans or even both. Herbs, spices and onion are all added into a mixture and made into a dough.
Falafel ingredients are simple and easy to have on hand. They are all mixed together at once and then formed into a small, round patty shape. It is one of the easiest, low calorie recipes that tastes delicious!
- Garbanzo beans: I used a can of garbanzo beans that need to be drained and rinsed if you prefer.
- Parsley: The bright beautiful color comes from fresh herbs and this parsley is one of them.
- Cilantro: Green is the color of the falafel. Don’t be alarmed but this cilantro adds in a hint of spice with amazing flavor.
- Onion: Either white, yellow or red onion is your preference.
- Garlic: I am a garlic lover and this can be added more or less depending on your preference.
- Cumin: More green coloring but the flavoring makes this the world’s best falafel.
- Salt and Pepper: I always say, just a pinch!
- Jalapeño: For the spicy lovers this is for you. If you are not a spicy lover you can omit the jalapeño or use less.
- Baking Soda: This creates more a of light and fluffy falafel.
- Flour: Any kind of flour will work here. This helps bind the mixture together in patties and cook with a crispy outside layer.
How to Make Falafel Recipe:
Simply add all the falafel ingredients into the food processor and pulse until it is thick and smooth. Add in flour and scoop out small round patties. Next you will pan fry the patties until they are golden brown on both sides. This will take about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. The green color of falafel will turn a slight brownish color when the falafel has cooked.
- Pulse Falafel ingredients together: In a food processor combine the garbanzo beans, parsley, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, jalapeño and baking soda. Pulse until smooth about 1 minute.
- Shape into patties: Add the mixture to a medium size bowl and stir in the flour. Scoop out about 2 tablespoons and shape into small patties.
- Cook falafel: Heat a medium skillet to medium high and add the patties. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
To make the same sized round patties, use a cookie scoop for scooping the falafel patties for even cooking when pan frying.
What Goes With Falafel?
Falafel is found delicious by itself, on the go and easy to eat. Serve it with sandwiches, wraps, salads or even dipping it in hummus are fun ways to make it a complete meal as well as add flavoring and fun to other meals. You can’t go wrong with this falafel recipe!
- Falafel sandwiches or wraps: As shown in the photos of falafel wraps, this is a thick and medium sized tortilla wrapped, then filled with fresh vegetables and tomatoes, sprinkled cheese and dressing on top. This does well with wraps, naan bread or thinner tortilla shells.
- Falafel salads: Falafel make a great addition to salads. It is crispy on the outside with a tender inside perfect for an extra flavor and texture on a salad.
- Falafel bowls: Bowls have become a favorite and simple recipe to make. Using falafel over top of a base of rice, orzo, veggies or even meat makes this falafel stand out even more.
- Dipping Falafel: This is perfect for dipping falafel into hummus or tzatziki sauce. The falafel will fall apart easily but it tastes so good and melts in your mouth with every bite.
Variations of Falafel:
- Legumes: Substitute garbanzo beans for chickpeas, black beans, white beans or lentils.
- Herbs: Add in a light and tasty mint flavoring or thyme and basil for a more earthy taste.
- Spices: Add in extra of ground cardamom, coriander, cinnamon and/or turmeric to my falafel mix too. This keeps it middle eastern and still has that delicious flavoring.
- Vegetables: Shredded carrots or bell peppers are also a great additive to falafel. Just add in more dry ingredients to keep the moisture out when mixing the falafel.
- Flour: Make this gluten-free with a gluten-free flour or even use a whole wheat flour instead.
FAQ’s about Falafel:
There are different ways of cooking falafel. My favorite is pan frying. It is simple and ready in minutes compared to other techniques. Baking is also easy and can be done in the oven. Deep frying is not always my favorite but once you know how to deep fry, it just comes naturally. Once you have cooked all of your falafel, simply let cook and store. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag for 5 to 7 days or freeze them for one month long.
- How to bake falafel: Preheat oven for 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake on a greased baking sheet for 25 to 30 minutes. Flipping the falafel around the 12 to 15 minute mark.
- How to deep-fry falafel: Cook oil at 375 degrees Fahrenheit using either a deep fryer or just filling a pot with a few inches of oil. Slowly and carefully lower the falafels into the oil and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Once they are a deep golden brown and seem to be crunchy on the outside place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil. Serve once they are cooled off.
- Can you freeze falafel? Yes! Once the falafel is cooled completely freeze the cooked falafel in an airtight container for up to one month. When ready to eat pan fry from frozen or heat in small increments in the microwave.
World's Best Falafel Recipe
Falafel is a round bite sized mixture of garbanzo beans, seasonings and a hint of spice from a jalapeño all cooked and ready to add to any wrap or salad. A healthy little bite!
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (drained and dried)
- 2 cups parsley
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 jalapeno (seeded and diced)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup flour
- In a food processor combine the garbanzo beans, parsley, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, jalapeño and baking soda. Pulse until smooth about 1 minute.
- Add the mixture to a medium size bowl and stir in the flour. Scoop out about 2 tablespoons and shape into small patties.
- Heat a medium skillet to medium high and add the patties. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
Continue reading "Easy Pork Fried Rice with Frozen Vegetables" »